Grant Guidelines & Eligibility
The Harold Alfond Foundation funds grant projects in the areas of education, health care, and youth and community development, primarily in the State of Maine.
The Foundation prefers making grants that:
- Are consistent with the pattern of giving of Harold Alfond;
- Exhibit strong, entrepreneurial leadership;
- Meet a demonstrable need, with a clear and measurable business plan;
- Are large‐scale;
- Are financially viable;
- Promote teamwork and partnerships – within the community, across organizations, or among different divisions of the organization;
- Strengthen existing “anchor” organizations; and,
- Generate transformative, enduring contributions to Maine and its economy
Almost always, the Foundation requires grant recipients to have “skin in the game,” vesting them, along with the Foundation, in successful outcomes.
Grants are made only to public charities and/or qualifying tax-exempt organizations under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code.
In general, the Foundation will not make grants to:
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Start-up organizations
- Event sponsorships
- Political campaigns or causes
- Legislative lobbying efforts
- Organizations or programs that provide benefit outside of the United States
- Private foundations